General Music in Concord Elementary school is driven by the philosophy that music is an attainable auditory and kinesthetic art form which promotes the development of higher cognitive processes in all children. Through experience and repetition students will foster an innate human capacity and nourish a distinct intelligence which knows no cultural bounds. Music as a language, will as well as the visual arts, provide the necessary aesthetic enrichment for intellectual growth and spiritual fulfillment in our children in a way which is unique unto itself.
National Standards in the Arts Music Content Standards (For all grade levels)
1. Singing, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of songs.
2. Playing, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of instrumental music.
3. Improvising melodies, variations, and accompaniments.
4. Composing and arranging music within specified guidelines.
5. Reading music and notating their own music and that others.
6. Listening to, analyzing and describing music.
7. Evaluating music and music performances.
8. Understanding relationships between music, the arts, and disciplines outside the arts.
9. Understanding music in relation to history and culture.